It requires expertise in a range of fields, including electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, and electrophysiology — a combination of skills that is not easy to find.
Optimizing CRM performance
While specific performance requirements may vary, many common requirements are shared across most implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs), pacemakers, and cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) devices.
- Accuracy: The device must accurately detect and diagnose arrhythmias, and deliver appropriate therapy in response.
- Reliability: The device must operate reliably over its expected lifetime, with an extremely low failure rate. CRM devices are among the most reliable electronic devices on the planet.
- Battery life: Implantable CRM devices must have a long battery life to minimize the frequency of device replacements.
- Patient monitoring: The majority of implantable devices today support wirelessly-enabled cloud-based patient monitoring and data collection.
- Ease of use: The device must be easy to implant, adjust, and manage, with user-friendly interfaces for both the healthcare provider and the patient.